the hostgator coupon Pingates.com tumbas lek: Waitstaff?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Waitstaff?

Best Wishes is being served by "Gordy Garcon" from Bonibleaux Designs. I must admit my ignorance in not knowing what a "garcon" was until I consulted the trusted New Oxford American Dictionary built right in my iMac. I learned that a "garcon" is a waiter in a French restaurant or hotel (well no wonder I didn't know, I've never been to France). The origin of the word is French and literally means "boy".  Hmm, seems to me in this day of political correctness, something is amiss. 

Restaurants in my area refer to waiters and waitresses as "waitstaff", which is stupid to me because, it is obvious to the patron whether it is a man or a woman extending the service.  So why not acknowledge that person's sex? I personally, do not care for waiter, waitress or waitstaff, somehow, they are unflattering terms. And since "garon" really means "boy", that term is no longer an option. I propose a very simple acronym FADP "Food and drink provider".  "Excuse me FADP, may I have more butter please?"

A special thanks to Cleota of What's Inking, a fellow design team member for Dude Time Doodles, for the fun custom watermark she provided all of the team.

In case you forgot, today starts this month's Guest Designer Challenge at Dude Time Doodles. Visit the blog for more details.